Saturday, October 15, 2005

Parents...

Talking to Irene now. About our problems and all the shits going on in our lives.

Which makes me wonder... why are parents unable to accept that their kid is facing some problems? In my case, depression.

I have had this problem since years ago... and when I finally let them in on it and I wanna go for sessions with a psychiatrist, they TOLD me that I DO NOT have depression! In fact, they INSISTED that I do not have it :

Me >> Mum, Dad. I have been suffering from depression for a long time and recently its been very much worse than before and I decided to go to a psychiatrist and perhaps find out whats wrong and get myself cured...

*got cut off*

Dad >> No no! You don't have depression! (HELLO! I do n it's been here for YEARS!) So there's no need for going to see doctors or anything.

Me >> And I also have insomnia... I havent been able to sleep for a few nights now even when Im very tired. Been going on for quite some time too. I thought of getting some sleeping pills so I can take one now and have a long good sleep...

*cut off again*

Dad >> No no no! What insomnia? Cant sleep doesn't mean insomnia (I said I have it rite?)! You're just not tired (??? din I say "even when Im very tired"???)! Don't take sleeping pills... sleeping pills are just for people who cant sleep. (???)

=.=''' WTF? What's going on here? Were they listening to me?

And again when I was having a severe gastric pain, last night, for the umpteenth time (which they know of, btw) :

Mum calls...
Me : Mum, Im having gastric. My stomach doesn't feel so good. Im lying in the shape of a human pretzel now cos it hurts so bad... can I take my gastric pills?
Mum : What? What gastric? You don't have gastric! (heh???) Take the pill Chi Kit, you just have air in ur stomach. Don't take your gastric pills. It's the first time you're feeling like that.
Me : But... but... this isn't the first time I get this... n u know too...
Mum : Ya... but it's the first time. Don't take gastric pills... take the Chi Kit pills...
Me : ........

[... I took my Actal anyways and worked like a charm! =D]

But... What's wrong with this picture? Anyone?

9 comments:

CreativeBitchin said...

lovely parents you got there.. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all, parents hate to admit the fact that their kids are not well. In your parents' case, they cannot accept the fact that you're having constant depressions and gastric.

If it was my dad, if I kena gastric always, he would not allow me to take gastric pills until he sends me to see a doc. What pills are you taking btw because in long term, gastric pills have side effects on your body which is why my mom stopped taking it and took care of her diet more. But Actal is fine ler..not really for gastric though..sometimes for indigestion if you eat too much. LOL.

As for depression, well, I think the best way to cure it is to get back your esteem and flood yourself with work. Esteem is the cause of all depressions.

Hope everything will go fine. Hugz.

Princess QiQi said...

sounds very much like my dad...

HAHA

Anonymous said...

yea like skay said, actal isnt reli for gastric. I take them too sometimes for indigestion. :P I assume that ur gastric is not a severe case, at least not yet. So TAKE CARE OF YOUR DIET before it becomes really serious!!

neways, there are other ways to cure depression besides just going to a shrink i guess. I think many, if not everyone, may have gone thru this stage at some point in their life. I had mine during my first year in college, tho of course not as severe as yours or some people i know. i got to know some really good frens, and well, they pulled me out of it. made me feel like im not so useless n pathetic. self esteem (again as mentioned by skay) reli is important. and friends really can help!

u dun have to rely on shrinks. Fight ur own battles, thats how u will get truly well knowing ur strength, knowing that ur okay n that u CAN do it. n try talkin to ppl who has gone thru and survived depression! Those are the true ppl who can relate to you and help you! Not shrinks. What do they know, other than ask u a couple of questions and giving u some happy drugs (and charging u a bomb for it). Okay, im not saying that shrinks are useless (so if any shrinks out there are reading this, dont sue me!Hehe), but...im just saying you dont have to rely on shrinks to get well.

Be strong. And yea, parents are complicated sometimes. :P :P

Neways take care. I confirm going down to kmn beg of dec. see u then! remember our date for otak2 and satar and keropok lekor!!!!

=nel= said...

Skay : My dad ar? He wont send me to see the doc... he'd just keep telling me that I dun have a prob, I dun have gastric. LoL...

Oh... n I din overeat. Cos I had lunch around 12pm and then went back to college to do my stuff. I din have anything until 8pm. And by then my stomach was already hurting. I was already having gastric pains since 6+pm. Then I din eat much at dinner, cos it hurts too much. So I dun think that's overeating ya? =)

N I've been so terribly busy and hectic this sem. So much to do that I do not have time for anything but stress, stress and stress. Im getting lack of sleep all the time as well... heh

=nel= said...

Irene : Hahaha... Yea, "lovely" parents huh? Anyone wanna trade? LoL!

YunQi : Hahaha... we have the same same parents lo... can compare notes and put our heads together to overcome them... kekeke!

Lian : I tink u can refer to my reply to SK since ur comment keeps referring to hers... LoL!

Depression... sigh... I got lotsa friends. They all helps at one point or another cos they're all crazy weird bunch... when Im with them, it helps me forget it a while. But what happens after that, when Im not with them? It's not something to put off.

Anonymous said...

well, when i said frens help, i meant it in such that they may be able to help improve ur self esteem. not cure ur depression altogether, or merely making u forget ur problems just by hanging out. its definitely not going to be an overnight cure. it will take time.

but of kos in the end it boils down to ur own self whether or not u can succeed.

n if u think that going to a shrink is the best way for you, then by all means, do what u think is best. but if seeing a doctor isn't an option right now (since ur parents do not seem to approve of it, or even accept it as that matter), then there are always other options to turn to.

Anonymous said...

We meant the medicine was usually for ppl who overeats...so dats why both of us (me and lian) was like.."eh, we usually eat for indigestion". I heard that if you drink milk for breakfast and eat at the right time, it helps. Oh btw, I think you should check lah...go urself or something coz my friend...remember Foo or not? Nvm if you can't..he has this gastric prob also because since small he hasn't eaten at the right time. Last time masuk hospital before summore

Tell me about the stress man..haiyoh..this sem I was busy like HELL and I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat properly...kept crying and getting cranky all the time. Luckily now most of my assignments all kau tim already. Phew

=nel= said...

Lian : hmm... what other options are there? LoL... too burnt out from all the stress to think straight... haihz... =.='''

sK : Foo... hmm... sounds familiar... remember da name but I think if I see his face then only can recall le... =)

Yea... might go get things checked out one day... just in case...

Haih... we gonna die becos of stress one day wei... assignments piling up and burying me alive sial... N stress is making me feel dam hungry dam fast... gonna be a fatso... =S